Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Caught a Skunk


I'm not kidding.
If you see that black and white thing in that cage- that's him. Sorry, not a real clear picture, but take what you can get. I'm not going any closer.

If you've read this blog for any length of time, you will know that I have held a grudge against various wildlife because my garden keeps getting munched. Not just the vegetables, because the hail destroyed that, but even my flowers. I have some really cool sunflowers that I planted along side the house- but the leaves keep getting munched off by Mr. Groundhog. In utter frustration I phoned the humane society who said that if I live trap the culprit, they will come get it and "re-locate" it. Another phone call to my father-in-law who lives out in the country, and he said I could have one of his live-traps. We carefully positioned the trap near the newly planted strawberry plants. For three days of we observed the trap, from the window. This morning...gotcha. But not the groundhog-- A SKUNK.

Groundhog must be too smart for traps.

What's worse is the humane society won't come "remove" Mr. Skunk until I somehow get him covered up with a tarp or dark trash bag. I try really hard to be Super Mom- but I did not know that skunks were in the job description.

2 comments:

Erin said...

That stinks.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, Tesa, Tim once had the exact same thing happen. And more unfortunate for the skunk, the only solution he found involved ammunition. Good luck!