Thursday, June 14, 2007

Rabbit Trouble

We have a lot of rabbits in our yard. Now that the vegetables in my garden are displaying big juicy leaves, the rabbits are taking notice. We had trouble with them last year. This year I determined I will beat them. They will not steal my fresh produce, and I will not give up and not plant out of fear that they will eat my "goods" before I do. I WILL WIN.

My first plan of attack was to plant my lettuce in pots on the deck. They can't reach those.
My lettuce looks beautiful!

My second plan of attack for the beans and squash down in the garden was to use a natural repellent. Some "research" has taught me that rabbits do not like the smell of garlic. Two nights ago I retrieved the dehydrated garlic flakes from my pantry. I sprinkled it quite liberally over my vegetables. If it is true that the garlic smell keeps rabbits away, we should not have any rabbits visiting the garden...or the bathroom...or the bedrooms...We have our windows open, and that wonderfully natural rabbit repellent is wafting in.

2 comments:

Phil said...

Its true i will vouch for her!

Carole said...

Natural rabbit repellant? We have 4 natural rabbit repellants . . . Kira, Tyrone, Gabby & Jilly. They keep the rabbits confined to under the storage trailer :D