Friday, June 29, 2007

Okey Dokey Smokey

My intent was to bake some cookies today. Josiah's birthday is Sunday, and we thought it would be fun to take Snickerdoodles to share with his Sunday School class. I made the dough, preheated the oven, and proceeded to roll them in cinnamon and sugar. Momentarily interrupted by some event requiring "mommy attention", I went outside. By the time I returned to the kitchen there was an eerie smoke in the air... filling the whole house with its haze. I groaned as I remembered the drippings on the bottom of the oven from the potpie that I had baked last night. Aaarrgh.
Nothing is more disappointing than a stinky house- especially after baking.
I turned off the oven, and scrubbed and scrubbed with baking soda. Not perfect- but most of it cleaned up of the oven floor.
Even now, hours after the clean up and cookies are baked the smoke smell lingers. I smell like smoke. When I open the cupboards I can smell smoke.
Now what else can I bake to make that smell go away...

1 comment:

Carole said...

So I know it's been a few days & the smell of smoke has probably dissipated ... but I found on the 'net, that if you leave a bowl of vinegar on the counter, it will absorb the smell of the smoke.