Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Soapbox

I was out the other day, with my four little ducklings all in a row. When I go out I inevitably receive some interesting looks, and even some comments about my kids. I would like to believe that all of the observations are "ohhh- look at those cute little kids!", and "what beautifully behaved children!" and "how adorable!!" But, I will admit- I see a few eyes rolling. People think I am strange that I have four very small children, close in age, and that I am taking them out with me!
A multitude of times I have received this comment "My, my... you've got your hands full!" (Now, please know, that I do have very well mannered children. This statement is always made reguarding the age and number that I have- not that they are being a challenge in public.) I have been stumped as to how I should respond to this particular comment. In a society that downplays the importance of family, and the honor it is to raise children, I feel that having a positive response to people that comment about my children is so important! But I have yet to come up with a "perfect" answer.
I also feel that how I respond to these types of comments is important to my children. They are hearing and absorbing the looks and comments of these strangers, too. I want them to feel proud of the family the Lord has blessed us with- not ashamed. I want them to know that Mom and Dad love them and are proud of them.
I will dismiss the man at the grocery store that looked at me and rolled his eyes and boldly said "Gosh, you need a few more kids!" Thanks mister.

1 comment:

Taren said...

How about "Thanks! They ARE beautiful aren't they!" or Yes, the world could use more just like them couldn't they! or The more the merrier! Or Children are a heritage of the Lord. Or I love a full quiver:). Or what a blessing they are! Or how about "Oh, you are familiar with Psalms 127:3-5". Just a few more reasons to be proud of your wonderful
family.