Friday, June 15, 2007

Double the Trouble

I thought I had Rabbit Trouble. Turns out I have bigger rodents to deal with. I have Groundhog Trouble. I have seen him. I have seen his family. I just didn't think groundhogs were garden hogs. I woke up this morning to find only two bean plants left. My pumpkins are nearly demolished. The beautiful leaves are munched down to the twiggy stems. I am frustrated beyond words!

Wikipedia has a picture of him. It looks just like him. I've seen him lounge just like that. However, if you want to see him, follow the link. I will not give him the satisfaction of putting his picture on my blog.

About.com lists some of the methods to use to deter the varmints: heavy artillery, live traps... seeing I live in downtown Omaha, this could be a problem. If I use "heavy artillery" I may be arrested. If I use a live trap- what do I do with him next? Load him up in the van with my four kids and take a picnic to the country????

Looks like my only options are to try sprinkling "Epsom Salts"- supposedly that will make things taste bad to them...and sticking some type contraption that will provide "motion" that may startle them. Doesn't sound to promising to me.

The war continues. I'm determined to win.
Mr. Groundhog- I hope you enjoyed your last meal.

No comments: