Saturday, July 5, 2008

What's Cookin': Market Fresh Salad

After that storm, our garden may never fully recover. So, today we headed to the downtown Farmer's Market to checkout the local produce. We are blessed to live walking distance from a fabulous Farmer's Market... however, the broken foot still requires some assistance. So, we packed up the family and drove down the hill and over the bridge. It was a cool morning, and the atmosphere was festive as always. The kids enjoyed "people watching", and "dog watching" and listening to the live music from the various instruments.

After scoping it all out, I reduced my choices to the following: fresh lettuce, tomatoes, sugar snap peas, some dark green broccoli, a huge head of cauliflower, a beautiful bunch of beats, a basket of new potatoes and a small bunch of carrots. We also found a great deal on two Ever-bearing strawberry plants. These will find a home in our little "berry garden" next to the blue berry bush and black raspberry bush. Can't wait till they all start producing!

So, to kick off "What's Cookin' " week... I give you the Market Fresh Salad. This was our fabulous lunch today. It was actually quite filling, and just full of flavor and goodness.

I served it with a home-made vinaigrette dressing (olive oil, vinegar, dry mustard, etc)- but I really need to experiment a bit more to get the dressing just right.

Have you had your salad today??

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hi,
What a GREAT blog today. I love how you link other things to your blog. If someone misses your previous blogs you just send them right to the right one!

Your salad looked wonderful! Dad and I had a 7 layer one a couple of weeks ago, and it was wonderful, and filling too! We are planning on eating more this summer.

Wish you were here this weekend too.

We are having fun with J, K, S, T and K.