Monday, April 13, 2009

Never A Crumb Will Go To Waste

Last week we declared our "spring break". Phil had the week off, we took a break from school, and my mom and dad spent the week visiting with us. It was a wonderful week full of projects, games, laughter, and eating yummy food. Hopefully, I will post more on the "projects" later.
As for the food...
I made the delicious artisan bread several times. I nearly always cut it when it is still hot from the oven, which causes lots of crumblies...


Normally, I save my cast-off crusts in the freezer and make home-made croutons or stuffing. But my dad saw those yummy crusties on the baking stone and got a little twinkle in his eye. He rustled around in the cupboard and mixed together this concoction of olive oil, fresh pressed garlic, and a sprinkle of basil. A delightful dipping for all those bread bits!


So simple but so yummy, it felt like an Italian restaurant. We indulged in this several times over the coarse of the week, and I know it will make a repeat performance even now after mom and dad have left. Bye-bye butter. Hello, heart healthy olive oil. Now I am even more anxious for my home-grown herbs to take over the garden!

1 comment:

Taren said...

Just in case others think they will try the great olive oil dip - try Oregano instead of the Basil. Or in addition to the Basil. Also a shake of red pepper flakes adds a nice zip too.
We had a great time too!
Dad