Monday, April 20, 2009

Meal-Stretching

One of our strategies for both health and frugal living is to make meat a compliment to our meals rather than the highlight. I feel a fun challenge to make the meat stretch as far as humanly possible. And I feel a quiet victory as one by one my children are reaching for seconds and thirds of the fruits and veggies!

How I stretch it:
5.5 pound chicken= 4 meals for our family of 2 adults and 4 small children
  • Baked chicken Served with oven roasted potatoes and carrots, green salad, and bread.
  • Chicken sandwiches Chopped chicken mixed with bbq sauce- serve on home made buns with shredded cabbage, and side with apple slices and carrot and celery sticks.
  • Pasta with home-made creamed chicken sauce; (add spinach, garlic and chopped tomato for the adults), home made bread sticks.
  • Chicken soup Home-made broth (from the chicken carcass), noodles, peas and carrots. Serve with home made garlic cheese biscuits.

1 comment:

Estee Renee said...

YUM! When's lunch???