Tuesday, April 7, 2009

It's In the Participation

Why My Children Love To Go To Church: Part 3

They participate. We have chosen to train them to sit with us in the service at the earliest possible age. We are teaching them hymns at home so they can sing with us. Though children's services are offered at our church, we have chosen to make the main service something we participate in together as a family. Our children are 7, 6, 4, and 2. They can do it.


What works for our family is that we don't take anything other than pencil and paper as "distractions". This minimizes noise, sibling rivalry, and the discontent they used to find as amusements were switched around or traded among themselves when we used to allow them to each pack "back packs" filled with things to do on Sunday morning. They see daddy and mommy with Bibles, pens and paper, so this seems normal for them. Just this last Sunday, I saw my 7 year old taking "picture notes", drawing pictures from the things he picked up on that our pastor was teaching from scripture. It warmed my heart.

At the lunch table, we try to discuss some things from the service. Sometimes it is a song we sung, sometimes it is something about the sermon: "Did you hear the story about what happened when the Israelites complained? I sure want to work on not complaining, don't you?"

I am so thankful that my children feel like the service is not just for big people. They want to be there, too.

2 comments:

Estee Renee said...

Tesa... I love your past few posts. I love that you and Phil are INTENTIONAL PARENTS... Renee

Erin said...

I'm loving this series. I learn a lot from you - stuff for now, and stuff for later when we have kiddos of our own. Thanks for posting these types of things!!