Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Home School Day

As I read from "A Story of the World" about the Viking invasions of England, the boys create their own artistic renditions of Viking ships.
Inspired by the barbaric Vikings, N also found some scrap wood and fashioned a small "double edged" sword for himself.

Meanwhile, the girls are learning letter recognition, how to form letters and how to do careful coloring...(and how to put the lids back on the markers as you finish with each one... :)


They also are working together on number recognition and counting.




(Ahhhh. It always looks so peaceful in the pictures!)


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Linda said...

And how do your 'parent-teacher' conferences go?

They all look so studious!

Nichole H said...

Tesa, I just love your home school stories. You are such a great mom and teacher. I'm so glad you are able to do what you love. Cute pics of the kids too!

Erin said...

Fun post! I love the girls' dresses... and D's braid!

Amy said...

Vikings are SO much fun to study! My boys thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it when we did it a few years ago- so did I!
Do you have the activity book for the Story of the World- or are you just doing activities on your own? I have the smaller book and am contemplating getting the activity book for next year.
It's so fun to see what other home schoolers are doing!

Tesa said...

Erin, the girls love that it is warm enough to wear spring "girly" dresses... but unfortunately the braid (or any thing in the hair) never lasts long. I am trying, but they just don't care for hair things that much!!

Tesa said...

Amy, I do not have the activity book. (And the Story of the World textbook we check out from the library...) We do as much hands on stuff as we can on our own-- maps, building projects, or I google to find color pages online that match our topic. My monther-in-law found a GREAT map book that she bought for us that we use, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Blackline-Maps-World-History-5000Bc-Present/dp/1932786252

For now, our homeschool is "super-frugal". But we are having so much fun, and it is sufficient for the level my kids are at right now. I have prayed a lot about it, and the Lord has brought great ideas for homeschooling to mind without much expense. I am amazed at His blessing on our homeschool adventure!