Saturday, August 25, 2007

Signs of the Times

It's finally sinking in: I NEED SLEEP. Various incidents this week have finally brought me to the conclusion that I am overdrawn in the sleep department. Here are the signs:

For three days this week I have laid 2 sticks of butter out on the counter intending to bake cookies. Every day I return to the kitchen to find it- and put it back in the fridge, because now there is no more time to make cookies.

I finally did make that batch of cookies. I put in too much salt. Recipe called for 1/2 tsp. I put in 1 1/2. That is a little much. Ended up fixing it by tripling the batch. ( phooey- more cookies, oh well- we will manage!)

I found a black t-shirt of mine in a load of sheets and dishcloths that I had washed on HOT with BLEACH. Don't know how it made it through and still looks decent.

Can't find my coffee mug- it is somewhere around the house with half a cup of coffee in it- hopefully I will find it before Dahlia does.

Trying to make a deposit and blanked out at the ATM- couldn't remember the pin number. Two tries and the machine spits the card back out. After a drive around the block, I am able to recall it- but frustrating none-the-less.

I know what my "magic bedtime" is- and I know for a fact that I haven't been to bed at that time for a minimum of 7 days.... shame, shame, shame.

Tomorrow is suppose to be "a day of rest". I just might make it that. For real. I hope I can get all my "work" done today, so I won't be distracted from my "rest" tomorrow. It is hard for me to rest when I walk into the bedroom and see the laundry baskets waiting to be taken care of... my son is politely reminding me that he is wearing the last pair of underwear in his drawer... the crumbs on my feet remind me that I've got to get the floor cleaned...the paper tiger that likes to live in the corner of the kitchen counter is sprouting extensions in various corners of the house... so why do I sit here blogging? A fellow blogger recently put it so well: "it's so much more fun to work on almost anything else. It's always good to have a really loathsome job that you really ought to do--it makes you so much more productive doing everything else." :)

1 comment:

Linda said...

Dear Tesa,
I'm sure you are tired! You do so much, and always find more to do!

I came across a statement made by Erma Bombeck, and thought of you.

"Maybe all I could do was mother... and yet, why did I feel so fulfilled when I bedded down three (four) kids between clean sheets? What if raising and instilling values in three (four) children and turning them into worthwhile human beings would be the most important contribution I ever made in my lifetime?"

You are doing so much to raise your wonderful family, and someday you will be able to sleep!

I'm sure the cookies were good, and the family enjoyed all of them!

Did you find the coffee mug?

We love and respect you so much!

Mom and Dad G.