Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Time to Grow

Grow little seeds, grow!

I keep reading on other blogs of gardens well started, and already showing yummy onions and lettuce, sweet peas, etc. I am getting itchy fingers! But we just aren't quiet past the risk of hard freezes here where I live... so I am trying to patiently wait one more week or two. I have started some things inside: tomatoes, red peppers, and this year's new experiment- kohl rabi. The rose bushes are just beginning to bud, and the iris leaves and peonies are poking up. No sign yet of the lily or dahlia bulbs I planted last year, nor the daisy or the lavender... I hope they make it!


I am excited to try a new gardening technique called square foot gardening. This system promises to reduce watering, weeding, and increase produce and minimize wasted space and resources. Plant less, and yield more?? yippee! We hope to start the prep work this weekend.


Disclaimer: Some have referred to me as an "experienced gardener" with a "green thumb". This makes me cringe and I must beg to differ. I just like to try growing things... and I am not afraid to try. I really am quite a novice... but I am learning a few new things every year, I find a joy in growing things!

No comments: