Wednesday, May 27, 2009

To Read

Ok... so it is not one of those books you cuddle up with and "escape" into the story line... but so far, I am so impressed with this one that I have to share. I am making my way through a copy of Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver Van DeMille. The author discusses a new education model contrary to the popular "conveyor belt" type of education. (This book does not single out one form of schooling-- home school, class room, colleges, etc... but is addressing education in general-- all across the board). As I read, I am challenged to define my thoughts about these things:
What is education?
What exactly is an "educated" person?
How can I assist my children to "educate" themselves?

I am recognizing the fact that education is a matter of "personal responsibility". NO one can cause another person to become educated. They can mentor you, pass on encouragement, share knowledge, skills, excitement for learning... but technically each person is responsible for their own education. Students can even learn to "play the system" and become proficient at regurgitating information without truly becoming educated.

I find these to be crucial thoughts for for me to think about not because we have chosen to home school our family... but because I am a parent of children. I want/choose to be educated. And I want my children to develop a thirst for wisdom, knowledge, and a desire to be educated, too.

"Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

"Every person you have ever met is a genius. Every one. Some of us have chosen not to develop it, but it is there. It is in us. All of us...You live in a world of geniuses. How can we settle for anything less than the best education?" ~ Oliver Van DeMille


"God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27

"The mind of the intelligent seeks knowledge..." Proverbs 15:14

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm with you- I want my children to always have curious minds and a hunger and thirst for knowledge and wisdom!

Taren said...

Your wisdom is showing through.
Proverbs 10:1, A wise child (daughter) brings joy to a father.
A-men.
Your joyfull father!