Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Ice Cream Roll Cake

Amazing Man loves ice cream. He requested an ice cream cake for his birthday celebration. At the store, they run for at least $13. I was more than happy to make my own-- a delicious one for under $5. All I really needed to purchase was the ice cream, everything else I had in the pantry.
I used the recipe posted here.


For the most part, it was easy, and the end result was delicious. I did confuse the order of adding the egg yolks and whites-- and in this recipe the order is important for achieving a sponge-type cake that will not get soggy when rolled up with ice cream. I caught the mistake in time and was able to start over before it was seriously too late! (note to self: when making a new recipe, find an alternative distraction for the curious toddler- outside of the kitchen!! :) )

I think my cake was just a tiny bit overdone because it cracked/split as I was rolling it up. I rolled that part into the center and it was unnoticeable when the cake was finished.
Also, one of the reviews on the recipe site suggested not using my favorite ice cream because the texture does not stay the same when softened. I opted for another brand for this project--but I did stick with just plain vanilla.

The cake was scrumptious. It did not freeze too hard, was easy to cut (I used a large serrated knife), and I think it even tastes better several days later. I'm fairly certain I will make this one again. I would love to try it with a creative flavor of ice cream.

Right now, there is just enough left in the freezer for "date night". Mmmm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious Tesa, thanks for posting the recipe. Ice cream cake is one of our favorites too.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to sign my name in the previous post. Bev Shippy

Anonymous said...

That looks amazing. I'm definitely going to try one of my own as the weather warms up. Thanks so much!