Maybelle the Cable Car, by Virginia Burton, is a 1952 classic read for the kids that does an excellent job of explaining the democratic voting process in a way for them to understand. We enjoyed a copy from our local library.
We talked a bit about the presidential candidates, looked at their pictures, and even colored their portraits. We discussed the importance of standards, what our family bases our standards on, and the importance of voting according to those standards regardless of what other people say.
The local Children's Museum was hosting "Kid's Vote" on November 4. We were at the polls bright and early. My three oldest were thrilled to participate.
at the voting booth
carefully reading the ballot
dropping the ballot into the ballot box
making a careful selection
proud voter
Look Mom, I voted!
It's great to be an American.
After voting, the kids proudly wore their "I voted today" stickers. The boys went with Mom and Dad to the adult polls to watch the process, too. Then we picked up some freebies for voters at the donut shop and coffee place.
At bedtime, I asked if they had had a good day. N's response: "OH, Yeah! I LOOOOOVE Voting!"
4 comments:
I'm so glad they had the privilege of voting! What did you do with the girls when you voted?
this is such a wonderful idea- I love how you made your kids so aware of the event, and even found a way for them to participate! you are such a good mom, Tesa- I admire you so much!
Don't worry, Grandma...:) We watched some little ones so their parents could go vote, then the girls stayed with them to play while we went to vote.
I didn't worry too much! I am always confident of you as the mom to those kids. They are safe in your care!
I agree with Summer...I admire you so much!
Post a Comment