The morning was cool and rainy...
setting the mood for teary eyes and somber farewells.
setting the mood for teary eyes and somber farewells.
A small grave was dug.
Each person said something special about Ocean, the fish.
He was buried with fond memories.

Each person said something special about Ocean, the fish.
He was buried with fond memories.
It wasn't something I had thought through before it happened... but as we were going through the motions of "having a funeral" for our pet fish, I realized what a perfect training experience this was for life.
My children have never had to deal with death in our immediate family or close friends.
Naturally, I want to spare my children pain... yet, pain happens in life, and we must each learn how to deal with it in our own lives. I don't know of a better way than through experience.
We grieved.
We remembered special moments (as much as one can have with a pet fish).
They had an active roll in bringing finality to the event (choosing the spot, digging the hole, covering it up).
And we have a memory--marked by a stepping stone (hand-made earlier this summer in VBS).
Sad we lost a pet...but thankful for opportunities to train up my children.
My children have never had to deal with death in our immediate family or close friends.
Naturally, I want to spare my children pain... yet, pain happens in life, and we must each learn how to deal with it in our own lives. I don't know of a better way than through experience.
We grieved.
We remembered special moments (as much as one can have with a pet fish).
They had an active roll in bringing finality to the event (choosing the spot, digging the hole, covering it up).
And we have a memory--marked by a stepping stone (hand-made earlier this summer in VBS).
Sad we lost a pet...but thankful for opportunities to train up my children.
No comments:
Post a Comment