Monday, August 24, 2009

Easy Chocolate Syrup-- Home made

Delicious...rich...pure home made flavor...
my latest experiment was a hit.

Homemade Chocolate Syrup.

This recipe comes from Amy Dacyczyn's The Complete Tightwad Gazette.

1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla

In a sauce pan, mix the cocoa and water over low heat until dissolved. Add sugar. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add salt and vanilla. Cool. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Keeps several months. (mine will be gone before then!)

I've been on a journey lately to learn how to make several pantry staples from scratch. First of all, I enjoy it. Secondly, I think the resulting product is healthier, fresher, and tastier than store bought versions. Thirdly, we have recently discovered our daughter's sensitivity to corn/corn products in her diet. This allergy has been a bit of a challenge, particularly in finding things not sweetened with corn syrups, etc. I'm thankful that the Lord has already blessed me with an intrigue in baking/cooking creatively. Now I have a just one more happy excuse to find healthy alternatives for the whole family.

6 comments:

Linda said...

No excuses needed!

Erin said...

YUM!!!

I have been reading that corn is one of the biggest culprits for GMOs, so it's probably a good thing that your family is cutting it out anyway!

Gloria said...

Sounds delish so will be trying it this weekend when Trojan comes to visit. Thanks!

E said...

Thanks for the recipe, Tesa! We'll have to try this sometime. Chocolate milk is the only way we can get our youngest to drink milk, and we usually use Nesquick, although I'll admit I've never looked at the ingredients to see what kind of preservatives and sweeteners are used. I recently ran across this recipe for chocolate syrup (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/10/decadent-chocolate-milk/) and am wanting to try that as well, although I'm thinking this is more of a grown up recipe. Not because there is anything in there my kids couldn't have, but because I'm afraid I'd drink it all myself. And she uses Ghirardelli chocolate! :-) ~Emily

Me said...

I can't wait to try this tonight after we pick up milk!

E said...

Tesa, thanks so much for posting this recipe! We ran out of Nesquick this morning, and chocolate milk is the only way we can get our youngest to drink milk. I mixed up a batch of this just now and can't wait until breakfast to try it out! Of course I had to sample a little bit, and it's delicious! I have a feeling we won't be buying Nesquick any time soon!