Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Intentional Family Unity

dentist appointments...a stop at the zoo to observe the wild cats...oatmeal chocolate chip cookie baking...fixing up home made runzas and fries for dinner...a couple of loads of laundry...scrubbing down the bathroom...

It's been a busy day. But I am oh so thankful for the blessing of serving my children and my husband and all the things we can do together.

One of our goals as a family is to cultivate family unity. Some of the intentional ways we do this is finding ways to do things together. Today it was a family trip to the dentist-- the whole crew! Yesterday it was everyone piling in the van for a trip to the home improvement store because dad needed to pick up something for the bathroom project. We nearly always go to the grocery store as a family. The kids participate in selecting fruits and veggies, weighing them, and reading prices. Yes, it takes a little bit longer, I try to plan for that. But I also try really hard to remember that my long term goal is to train up my children-- not to get home faster.

To "train up" my children- I want to do it intentionally, and actively. Not just in a passive way.

1 comment:

Nichole said...

I so enjoy reading about what you are doing as a family. I agree about going places together as much as possible. I loved going on errands with my mom and dad as a child and try to do that with my own kids. I have had so many great conversations with my kids in the store aisles or driving in the car to and from that probably wouldn't have happened the same way while at home.