It is baking season! I am restocking the cupboard with all those things needed for yummy baked goods.
At the grocery store, I reach for the cornmeal. In the past I have always purchased Quaker brand- it makes yummy cornbread- the recipe is right on the back. 24 oz. container $1.27. Not a big deal, but I notice Aunt Jemima brand sitting next to it. 32 oz. for $0.97. Wow. Significant difference there. Aunt Jemima comes in a bag, like flour- Quaker comes in a cardboard cylinder like oatmeal. I go for the bargain.
At home, P notices that the Aunt Jemima cornmeal is manufactured by the Quaker Oats Company. Same seal on both packages. Same exact product- same distributor- different packaging and different faces on the bag. Hmmm. The only prejudice I have is against sneaky higher prices.
Random extra thought, somewhat related: One size of the Cheerios boxes was recently reduced from 10 oz. to 8.9 oz. Prices remain the same. I was lucky to catch that last 10 oz box on the shelf, but from now on I'll be stuck with the 8.9 oz. box at the former 10 oz. price. Ppbbthhh!
2 comments:
I liked your other title, "The Savings Are B/W."
I like your expletive! Ppbbthh! says it all! I had the same experience with Libby's pumpkin a few years ago. I wrote them and they said they had reduced the size can and kept the price the same because that was what the people wanted:) They also said they couldn't get the original size can anymore. Yeah, Right! The public wants less product for more price and a huge company like Libby's can't get the size can they want. Mom:)
Post a Comment