Thursday, September 13, 2007

Music to my Ears

It's been quiet on my blog lately- much too quiet... but that's because things are loud and busy in the "real world". :)


Neither Phil or I have much of a musical bent. Yes, we enjoy music- but we don't play or sing well... and we don't have any groups we are addicted to, and we are not connected tightly enough to the music world to be able to tell you who sings what song.


Watching my children lately, I see how much they absorb music. I don't want to rob them of a talent they may have, simply because I don't have a musical knack. N seems to have a natural rhythm- and L loves to sing any little song or ditty.

So in effort to bring more music to their world and to our home we've done a few simple things.
I checked out a CD from the library called Beethoven's Wig: Sing along Symphonies. This is a set of classics from among the masters of classical music to which someone has added hilarious lyrics. At first I was leering of spoiling such masterpieces- but it has been a gentle, fun way to introduce the songs to the kids. They love Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture- sung with lyrics about a cannonball crashing up the concert hall... and Beethoven's 5th Symphony sung with lyrics about how "Beethoven's Wig...Was Really Big..." There is even a song that orders the Kings and Queens of England.

The other effort we have made is to begin teaching our children some of the timeless hymns. Lily can belt out "What can wash away my sin: Nothing but the blood of Jesus!" It is so precious it brings tears to my eyes. They request to sing these songs- and once we begin, they don't want to quit till we sing every one on our list. My hope is that besides developing a love for music- some of the deep foundational truths to our Faith will soak in to their hearts as well.

1 comment:

Carole said...

Did I give you those cds? It was a pack of 5... kid's worship songs? I can't remember. They must get their singing talent from their grandma g :D. I love to hear kids sing, it's always so heartfelt, no matter what the song!
Kisses to the Kiddles...