Monday, November 7, 2011

In Everything Give Thanks

I am so thankful for our incredible back yard.  Though we live in a downtown neighborhood, we have a great yard tucked back amongst some trees and lots of elbow room between our neighbors.  Our house is small, but our yard makes up for it.
One of the goals we have for our family is to spend enormous time outside: for fresh air, for exercise, for vitamin D, and to surround ourselves with God's creation.  When we spend lots of time outside, it is easier to be observant of the things God has created.  Birds, bugs, mammals, trees, flowers, seeds, growth cycles, weather, soil composition, plant pigments, erosion, habitats, wind...Forget the science worksheets we can learn it all from just observing and talking about things we intentionally take the time to notice going on in our back yard. 
As I type, I smile and hear the chickadees chirp while they snack on the sunflower seed heads outside...
"Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?" 
~Matthew 6:26


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You do have a wonderful back yard! I imagine your kids will have years and years of great memories!

jayme