Saturday, June 5 began with an intensity to get some thorough cleaning done. The hardwood floors were washed (all of them), the area rugs vacuumed, bathroom scrubbed, laundry caught up, ceiling fans wiped down, stair way cleaned, kitchen scrubbed, everything tidied. Church clothes and preparations made for the marrow. Kids were bathed, tucked into bed, and Phil and I crashed on the couch for our Saturday night "date". We put on a movie, made a huge pan of nacho supreme and relaxed. Truly I had that last "nesting" surge...and my husband had truly caught it with me!
Around 3:20am I awoke and began feeling contractions...about every 15 min or so. I told myself I should try to rest...this was probably the big day! I dozed lightly, but was very conscious of the continuing contractions- I was sure they were real. When the alarm went of at 6, I opened the shades to let in the sun, and when Phil rolled over I asked him if he wanted to have a birthday party today. He awoke fairly quickly at that comment! I told him that it would probably be a while yet, but that things were definitely moving along. After 6:30, I called my mom and told her we would probably need them to watch the kiddos today. They decided to come and spend the day with us to wait for the "appointed time".
I showered, finished packing the hospital bag, and began our morning routine with the kiddos. My parents and sister arrived and had breakfast with us. We spent the day together just...waiting.
Dad went and picked up hamburgers for lunch...and I remember eating carefully, thinking that I could possibly see anything I ate again if I was not careful. I was also very concious to keep hydrated. One of my goals for this birth was to avoid an IV...and that is great motivation to stay hydrated!
After noon, my contractions became quite regular at 10 minute intervals. If I kept moving (taking trips up and down the stairs, or a walk around the block) they were periodically more intense. At 4, they had become very regular, and about 8 minutes apart. I called the nurse, who asked me lots of questions, but basically told me to hold off and not come in yet...wait until the contractions were 5-7 minutes apart, and very hard, she said.
By 5:30 or so both Phil and I were about going stir crazy. We went out for a walk, but never made it past the garden where he started hoeing, and I began weeding. I would call out when I had contractions, and he would time them and write them down. It got to the point where I had to reach for support or sit down for each contraction. Phil looked at me and said "I don't care what the nurse said, we are going in". So I called the hotline and told the woman (answering service) "We are headed to the hospital". She told me "Oh, well, I have to have the nurses call you back!" Ha! I wasn't waiting... I told my mom to give them the message that we were on our way and off we went. We left our house at 6:45pm. On the way, I remember telling Phil not to speed... but I also remember feeling relief that it was Sunday and not a business day...traffic was light. Contractions...very intense.
Phil parked and we walked in through the main part of the hospital. He asked me if I wanted a wheel chair, and I remember thinking "yes, but I don't want to stop to find one...KEEP walking, and lets just get to labor and delivery!!" We arrived at the check-in desk at 7pm. Two nurses had their backs turned and were deep in discussion about something. I shuffled and cleared my throat, and looked for some kind of bell to ring. As they finished up, Phil said "Hi, we would like a room for the night!" I thought it was cute, but at that point was in no mood to muse over it. They did their check in procedures and printed our bands...as I shuffled and thought it needed to move a little faster. I was relieved when they finished all their logistics and a labor and delivery nurse showed us to our room. She started small talk, to which I was not mentally able to engage in, but I answered curtly and politely as possible. She gave me a gown, which I put on quickly. I think I was shaking the whole time.
I sat cross legged on the bed and asked Phil to rub my back... that brought some relief to the intense contractions. The midwife arrived and did a quick exam to see what my progress was: she declared me 7-8cm dilated and 90% effaced. I was thrilled~the day had been productive after all! I knew that from my previous birth experience, that I could move fast from here.
The midwife also checked the baby's heart beat for about 7-8 minutes on the electronic fetal monitor...she was so pleased with baby's heart rate that I did not need to leave the monitor on. No IV...no EFM... no pitocin...I was ready for a birth that is natural as they come! Yay! This was my goal finally realized!
There was a lot of pressure on my lower back. Lying down on that bed would have only brought intense discomfort, stalled my labor, and perhaps made me dependent on pain medication for relief. My midwife understood my situation and told me that if I got on my knees and turned around and leaned over the back of the bed (which was in a upright "chair" position) that the baby would probably slide right out. With a little help from Phil, I assumed that position and found great relief. Also, as baby moved down, the midwife and Phil applied a "hip squeeze" technique which relieved nearly ALL the pressure on my lower back during contractions. Within a very short time, I felt so ready to push...and yes, she was right, my baby came quickly and easily in this birth position. A few (3 maybe?) quick, easy pushes and out she came...born at 7:50pm. Phil was thrilled to be allowed to catch our baby as she was being born. "It's TANSY!" Phil announced to me! Phil and the midwife passed Tansy up to me~ and I sat to snuggle our beautiful little baby girl. She quieted against me and I sat in awe. Life...such a beautiful blessing.
Stay tuned... and next I will tell how and why we chose her name.
7 comments:
That is a BEAUTIFUL birth story -- absolutely perfectly natural -- just the way you wanted it!! Thanks so much for sharing! It just seems like everything went according to plan with no problems -- praise the Lord for that! And now, you're getting to experience the fun part -- snuggling that adorable little newborn! Isn't it so fun having a newborn in the house again? We are loving it, and I'm sure you are too! I love your blog! :)
Oh,wow,what a wonderful post. Tansy will be so thrilled to have her story written down. She may be able to 'remember her birth!'
Brother David wasn't born yet when we were all in a car accident, but we talked about it so much, he swears he remembers it!
Thank you for sharing!
"We'd like a room for the night." HAHAHA! My brother is a hoot!
Wonderful story & I can't wait to see you all in the next coupla days!
<3
Beautiful Tesa....
YOU (and Tansy!) will be so glad you wrote this post! How the details seem to get away from you as the years pass! thanks for sharing it with us!
Wow, you weren't kidding when you said we had a lot of similarities in our stories. Of course I didn't do any gardening when I was in labor!! :-) So glad everything went smoothly and as you wanted!
That was fun to read -- thanks for posting it! I was also kind of happy to hear that you were impatient -- I've never seen that from you, but I can see how birth would bring that out in a woman!
Post a Comment