Monday, May 17, 2010

All Things Scientific

In the spring time science lessons seem to come about so naturally as we are outdoors more. This week we tested soil samples from our garden area...



Learning about the chemicals in the soil and how to balance them for good garden produce production seems more valuable/useful for everyday life than any chemistry experiment I remember doing in school.

The girls especially are enjoying learning the names of the different flowers that bloom around the yard... the iris' are especially lovely right now, and the daisies are beginning to pop open cheerfully here and there. We've discussed plant anatomy and function... and conducted the classic experiment to show how the nutrients go up the stem of flowers by placing them in vases of colored water.
The "traditional" school year is nearing an end...but I feel like we are just getting started!!

2 comments:

Linda said...

I don't remember doing all those neat thing in science class. I'm so glad the kids are having fun in school

Wow, only 4 more weeks!

Anonymous said...

This looks so much like I remember little Carole when she was growing up!!!
Aunt Sheryl