Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Thoughts for home schooling

As our years of home schooling have progressed, I am finding that our needs are changing as well. Curriculum that worked well when I was teaching only my first- is not as efficient now because my subsequent children have picked up so much just "being around" as we do our school work. Academically, each one is starting out much more advanced and their needs are so different. What was essential for one, seems to be busy work for another.

My three year old is already able to identify all her letters and sounds and numbers 1-20. The other day she proudly called out from the bathroom--"MOM! Stinky starts with a "S" and the next letter is a "T"!! Can't help but smile at that one.


As the boys progress in their learning, their learning styles are becoming more and more defined. I have two very opposite learners. Both are incredibly smart. One picks up details very quickly, is a wiz at math, is fairly self motivated and breezes through book work...the other tends to "over-process" things, gets bogged down by any type of bookwork or busywork; yet can digests books like crazy. He can read and comprehend things far above his grade level, and explain to you what he has read.

As home schoolers, it is exciting that we can delight in our differences. We have the freedom to focus on strengths and use those strengths to facilitate learning in all areas...rather than stick to a generic system.

As I re-evaluate the needs of our children and the function of our home school, I found this article, from Home School Marketplace E-Journal, full of great things to re-think regarding our family's philosophy of education and curriculum. For anyone currently home schooling or considering it, these are some great ideas to process.

No comments: