Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Berry Time

Two years ago we planted a couple of black raspberry bushes (well, at that point they were just twigs, really.) This year we were delighted to find that they are producing berries! Beautiful, sweet little things. I am so excited.


Every morning I carefully pick through the pokey branches to pluck any ripe berry before the birds find them. My little handful is enough to toss into my morning oatmeal.
While I revel over those... the kiddos are enjoying these...

Picking mulberries is so much more exciting... it involves climbing a tree...


and shaking them down in a shower of purple rain.

Even when you munch a few...


it is easy to pick a bucketful.
And they leave such a pretty color on your fingers, cheeks, and bare feet.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Yummy! I think the purple is finally gone from my feet!

Enjoy all the berries, and maybe in a few years we will all get berry jelly for Christmas!

Estee Renee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Estee Renee said...

I LOVE having purple fingers, lips, and teeth from mulberries... at least I did as a kid. There's a tree in the alley and I picked some and ate them on my way home from church last week... I thought about it as I walked past on the way TO church but didn't want to have purple teeth when I got there :) Looks like lots of summer fun at your house, though!!!

Erin said...

Yum! I don't think I've ever eaten mulberries before.