Thursday, May 15, 2008

I just could not wait.

I've been watching, and waiting, and today... this little radish was just calling my name. I couldn't wait any more- so I picked him...sliced him oh so thin, and slid him into my sandwich. OOOHHH. Just the right zip of freshness... yum.



I have planted a "mini-salad garden" in this rustic, galvanized washtub on my deck. (I have lots more planted in the big garden, but these got a head start before the other beds were ready. Hopefully these will be "out of reach" from the pesky ole' rabbits).
It has been so satisfying to watch them grow- and today, eat one!
In the front are the sugar snap peas (which I hope will dangle down the sides when they get long enough). Next the little row of radish brothers. In the middle are some various shoots of lettuce. Towards the back are some green onions.


Meanwhile, in other parts of the yard, apricot blossoms have passed- but seem to have promised us an abundant supply of apricots this year. Homemade apricot jam may be on every one's Christmas list this year! The Lilacs have stepped on stage and are sharing their vibrant color and beautiful fragrance with us now.



And my all time favorite flower- the daisies. I have invited daisies into my flower bed for the last two years- but none of them wanted to stay. This year, my dear friend was "thinning out" her garden, and shared all her extra with me. These hearty little guys are thriving wonderfully, and are so cheery to cut and bring in to the table.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Delena said...

I love daisies. How are yours blooming so soon? We have several more weeks before we'll see any daisies here. Love the idea of the salad bucket. Looks yummy.