Last night I was going to take the young ones to the library. Before we left I remembered it was Veteren's day, and the library was closed. So instead we packed up and headed for ... the fabric store. I am working on a crafty project- a rare delight for me these days- and I needed one item to finish it up. I could have gone to Walmart- but didn't feel up to the challenge of the atmosphere there. So we headed for the fabric store. Closer, more peacefull, and I haven't been there for a couple of years.
When I was little my mom used to take me and my brother to the fabric store. I remember my brother's little shoulders slumping in dissappointment whenever we went there- he did not care for that venture. I don't remember having a particular aversion to the fabric store, but I do remember running around, playing hide and seek among the bolts of fabric. I also remember pretending to play the organ on the display of threads and getting yelled at by a clerk. I remember flipping through the pages of the pattern books... and being embarrassed when I babbled to a woman thinking it was my mom, and when she turned around I realized she was a stranger.
Unfortunately, the store I went to was having a huge Veteran's Day Sale- and signs all over shouted 40, 50 and 75% off. The creative juices in me that have been buried for a while started oozing up, and I was soooo tempted to purchase many things. I enjoyed looking around, and got some fun ideas. And the kiddos- they seemed to have just as much fun. Feeling the fabrics, being amazed at the foam, intrigued by the buttons, the Christmas decor, the beads, the trinkets... they swarmed around that store like fruit flies. They must not get out enough...
Anyway, I managed to leave the store- spending only $2, including the impulse buy off the dollar rack that I am going to give my friend as a gift. An added bonus- at the check out the clerk said... "Just so ya know, that woman who was just in here said your kids were the best behaved kids she has ever seen in the store. Just so ya know..."
2 comments:
"I remember my brother's little shoulders slumping in dissappointment..."
That line cracks me up. I've seen that reaction from the grown-up version of your brother. :)
Laurie - hilarious. And true.
Tesa - your description of your brother on the trips to the fabric store gives me the same mental picture I had when HE described the trips to me! :-)
And, way to go on only spending $2 and having the best behaved kids!!
Post a Comment