Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Valentine Cookies and Projects


Sugar cookies. It has taken me many years to find a recipe that works for me. I once special ordered some cookie cutters from this site to make cookies for a friend's bridal shower. The cutters arrived neatly packaged with a cute little recipe card for the best sugar cookies I've found yet! Simple recipe, easy to roll out, and they taste wonderful.

Combine 2 cups flour, 1/4 tsp salt and set aside. In large mixing bowl, cream 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup butter. Add 1 egg and 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla, beat until well mixed. Add flour, blend on low until just combined- don't over mix! Divide dough in half and form two disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Roll dough on floured surface to 1/4" thickness. (my worst fault is rolling them too thin! I love a good thick sugar cookie.) Cut with your favorite shapes and place on un-greased cookie sheets. Bake for about 12 minutes at 325. (watch carefully- they are best just before the edges begin to brown.)
I frost our cookies using a simple powdered sugar/milk frosting. Start with about 3 cups powdered sugar and drizzle in a bit of milk--whisking constantly until the consistency is thick enough to not be runny when you decorate your cookies. I love the way this simple frosting dries into a smooth glossy sheen.

I found this adorable felt Valentine tic-tac-toe project through a link to RootsAndWingsCo on Sew, Mama, Sew. I used what I had in my stash and spent an evening being creative... The final project came out with a home-spun look, but also with an oh, so cute look!



Next up, I'd love to make this adorable Valentine bunting. The sewing machine is out--but the days are ticking. It may be done for next year... maybe.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Linda said...

You are so crafty! I wish I had a cookie!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

I love how your tic tac toe turned out! Thanks for linking it up to us!
Rebecca of the R&W Gals