Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Eating Gourmet on the Cheap

Forget the gourmet cafe... stay home and make this!
Dinner tonight was a fabulous combination flavors! Wish I had photos to tempt you, but by the time I sat down to eat...I was too tired and hungry to get back up for the camera. The menu:
Summer's recipe for Panera-style Broccoli Cheddar Soup
simple spinach/romaine/carrot salad
home-made croutons
caramelized onion flatbread (call it focaccia- sounds so much more gourmet!)

This soup has a great flavor. I used the home-made broth I had in the freezer and the skim milk I had on hand, (rather than half/half) and was very pleased with the results. (Simple me, I also chose to omit the blender step- one less dish to wash). Fabulous- fabulous soup.

To make the focaccia: I used my regular pizza dough recipe. While the dough is rising, thinly slice one whole onion. Saute the onion in 1-2 Tbsp olive oil or butter until caramelized, about 15-20 minutes.
Divide dough in half. (I put the other half in the freezer for another time). Roll into a rectangle. Place on baking sheet or preheated stone. Press all over evenly with fingertips (to create little dents) about 1 inch apart. Drizzle with olive oil. Top with caramelized onions, sprinkle with salt. Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned.
Who knew bread and onions could look/taste so delicious??! There really are so many of possibilities with this... I'll be experimenting with lots of other toppings: thinly sliced tomatoes, pesto, even a simple combo of garlic and Parmesan would be yummy.

I'm happy there is a little bit of leftovers stashed for my lunch tomorrow. I will be licking the bowl and dabbing up every last sweet caramel onion. mmmm.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Ummmmm.....

summer said...

oh i'm so happy that you liked the soup too, tesa! it truly did seem gourmet, didn't it? but i love the idea of doing 'focaccia' bread with it! brilliant. must add that next time.