Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Awe and Wonder

I clearly remember the Christmas my first born was just a year old...it suddenly struck me that he did not know the song "Away in a Manger", or the wonderful story about Mary and Joseph and the birth of baby Jesus. It was a most a shocking realization of the responsibility I had as a mother.
To teach my children these things is such an amazing opportunity to nurture the awe and wonder of our Savior's birth...

I am re-living those feelings a bit this Christmas season as I notice my older three recognize our traditions-- the advent calendar, the nativity scene, the Christmas hymns we sing, even the Christmas cookies I bake. But our youngest seems to be seeing things through brand new eyes... everything is new to her. The awe and wonder is exciting.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Christmas through the eyes of a child are one of the wonders we get to enjoy! Thank you for posting this, and letting my mind wander back to the days when my children grew to love the Lord of Christmas!

Erin said...

I got a little teary-eyed reading this. I'm so excited to get to experience this for myself soon!!