Friday, November 20, 2009

Reading for the Thanksgiving Season

a list of our favorite seasonal reading...
some from the library, and some of our own collection

The Light and the Glory for Children; by Peter Marshall and David Manuel
~This is an excellent "read-aloud" that shows God's hand in shaping the history of America. We read the chapters highlighting the Pilgrims the week before Thanksgiving.

Old Fashioned Thanksgiving; by Louisa May Alcott

Merrily Comes Our Harvest In; by Lee Bennett Hopkins;1978
~This is a collection of simple harvest and Thanksgiving poems...charming sketches on each page.

The Pilgrim's Story
~This is a little paper booklet that I collected from somewhere...don't even remember where I came across it. It has portions of William Bradford's actual writings/journal. Fascinating to read...even if it is just snippets here and there.

1 comment:

E said...

Thanks for posting this, Tesa! I went online tonight and found the book Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag as a free download, so I started reading the Thanksgiving story to the girls tonight. They were having such a hard time getting to sleep, and I wasn't sure my youngest would be interested in the story, but they both really enjoyed it! I will read a bit more tomorrow night, and hopefully this will help them settle down for sleep at night! Thanks! :)