Pumpkin Stew
2 lb stew meat, in 1 inch cubes
2 T oil
3 large potatoes, cubed
4 medium carrots, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups beef broth
8oz. tomato sauce
Brown meat in oil. Add broth, potatoes, carrots, garlic, onion and salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Stir in tomato sauce and additional broth if needed to obtain desired consistency. Wash, cut top off and clean inside of pumpkin. Place in shallow baking dish or rimmed cookie sheet. Fill pumpkin with stew and replace top. Brush outside with oil. Bake at 325 for 2 hours.*
*I wanted to serve this for Sunday lunch so I made the stew Sat. evening and refrigerated it overnight. We filled the cleaned out pumpkin with the stew in the morning and it baked at 250 for about 3 1/2 hours while we were at church.
Fabulously delicious. Beautiful, too!
2 lb stew meat, in 1 inch cubes
2 T oil
3 large potatoes, cubed
4 medium carrots, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups beef broth
8oz. tomato sauce
Brown meat in oil. Add broth, potatoes, carrots, garlic, onion and salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Stir in tomato sauce and additional broth if needed to obtain desired consistency. Wash, cut top off and clean inside of pumpkin. Place in shallow baking dish or rimmed cookie sheet. Fill pumpkin with stew and replace top. Brush outside with oil. Bake at 325 for 2 hours.*
*I wanted to serve this for Sunday lunch so I made the stew Sat. evening and refrigerated it overnight. We filled the cleaned out pumpkin with the stew in the morning and it baked at 250 for about 3 1/2 hours while we were at church.
Fabulously delicious. Beautiful, too!
2 comments:
The things you do continually amaze me!
Thanks for sharing Tesa! I'm ALWAYS looking for interesting ways to use our garden pumpkins. This is a great idea - and good reminder to bake something while you're at church (instead of always thinking I have to use the crockpot). Also....gotta love the apron still on at the table....how many times have I done this?:)
Post a Comment