Tuesday, July 27, 2010

a yummy snack

I recently found a new recipe for granola bars. In true Tesa style, I adjusted the recipe to what I had in the cupboard. The results were reminiscent of our family favorite cookie. That makes it a winner!

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup flour
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup quinoa
1/4 cup coconut
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients with a spoon or your hands (great job for the kiddos). Pat the mixture evenly into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while they are still warm.

We ate the first bars as soon as they were cool enough...however, I found that after they had set for several hours they were even better. They are soft like a cookie bar but dense like a granola bar- and with lots of healthy goodness packed inside.

2 comments:

Linda said...

You always make yummy snacks!

Lori Stucky said...

Will make some this afternoon! I have always wanted to make granola bars and all my attempts are kinda sad. Thanks for posting!